I specialize in moving ideas to meaningful action, for individuals and organizations of all types and sizes.
For over 20 years, I’ve been involved in social responsibility and environmental sustainability in a variety of areas including: healthcare, natural resources, telecommunications, financial services, and associations, as well as with foundations and education.
No matter the nature or extent of the issue at hand, I’ll work with you as your coach and strategic advisor to get to the core of what meaningful looks and feels like for you right now and in the future.
By looking at your situation and what’s happening around you inside and outside, we’ll explore what might be possible. Then we’ll chart a move-forward, make-it-happen course of action just for you.
It’s my job to make you shine.
What Others Say
- Visionary: able to think big and develop and execute strategy
- Inspiring: skilled at educating, mentoring, developing and empowering others
- Entrepreneurial: an enterprising self-starter who knows what to do and how to make it happen
- Connector: a collaborative facilitator who knows how to bring people together to solve a problem and accomplish something great
- Expressive: able to communicate clearly and consistently
- Authentic: honest, sincere and respected, someone you can trust
- Resourceful: able to identify and source needs, opportunities and resources
- Creative: stylish with a fine-tuned sense of aesthetics
- A Rock: dependable and reliable, can count on to make a plan and deliver the expected results
See Accolades for more about working with me.
Sustainability Wake-Up Call
My sustainability wake-up call was a summer job on the Columbia Icefields in the Canadian Rockies. My job was to educate visitors about the rapidly receding Athabasca Glacier — in the past 125 years, it has lost half its volume and receded 1.5 km.
Moving Ideas to Meaningful Action
These words encapsulate what I do best. Here are some examples:
- Coach Ontario physicians to develop as leaders and guide the development of healthcare initiatives that save money, reduce wait times, improve the patient experience and increase collaboration;
- Rolled out Royal Bank’s Better Giving Better Living Charitable Program to encourage giving on a community by community basis;
- Initiated the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation’s Stationary Bike-a-thon (it raised $24,000 the first year and now raises over $7 million annually in Canada);
- Convinced Toronto City Councillor Jack Layton to support Nathan Phillips Square Skate Rental proposal which resulted in the skate rental that exists today;
- Empowered a businesswoman to realize her dream to create a professional organizing business.
Lifelong Learner & Educator
I love learning. I have an MBA from York University’s Schulich School of Business and a BA in Psychology and Economics from Wilfrid Laurier University. A Certified Professional Co-Active Coach (CPCC, ACC), I completed the rigorous Coaches Training Institute (CTI) Certification, recognized by the International Coach Federation (ICF). I am a Certified Practitioner for The Leadership Circle ™ Self Assessment / 360.
Currently, I am an Executive Leadership Coach for the Schulich Executive Education Centre OMA / CMA Physician Leadership Development Program. I have taught a number of courses for Humber College’s School of Media Studies and Information Technology including Corporate Social Responsibility, Leadership & Teamwork, Ethics, Internal Communications and Presentation Skills. As a mentor, I continue to be inspired by my clients and students.
- International Association of Business Communicators/Toronto Chapter Board Member/Vice President, Membership (winner of seven 2014 chapter management awards including IABC International Chapter of the Year)
- Canadian Standards Association, Social Responsibility Committee Member
- Canadian Centre for Ethics and Corporate Policy, Member
See how I am part of the Community.
With dual citizenship in Canada and the United Kingdom, I bring a global perspective to assignments, drawing on my direct exposure to social responsibility issues as one of 400+ stakeholders from 90 countries who contributed to the development of the first ISO 26000 global guidance standard for social responsibility. Currently, I’m coaching Scottish nurse and midwife leaders to become more self aware and adept at empowering the teams they manage.
How I Work
As a Certified Professional Co-Active Coach, I work one on one with individuals and teams within and outside organizations to empower and hold them accountable to achieve their personal and professional best by embracing a creative versus reactive leadership mindset.
I also guide organizations in their social responsibility, stakeholder engagement and communication efforts, bringing a sustainability perspective and ethical considerations to my work. I do it with you and your organization as a leader, partner, supporter and sometimes cheerleader. And, if required, I’ll call on the smartest trusted minds in my network to add additional expertise and insight.
One-time and ongoing assignments offer:
- the ability to simplify challenging concepts
- a fresh perspective on today’s business issues
- leadership and communication guidance
- effective and achievable strategies/plans
See my specific Services.