Hi I’m Mary-Ellen
It’s my job to make you shine
Hi I’m Mary-Ellen
It’s my job to make you shine
IFC-Accredited global coach and strategic advisor
If you’re currently feeling stuck and ready to move forward, let’s talk!
I’m Mary-Ellen, a certified coach and strategic advisor who specializes in helping organizations and individuals who value leadership, sustainability and communication.
I help to uncover the root cause of ongoing worries or issues in order to create a clear path forward to greater fulfillment, success and impact.
It all starts with a Discovery Call to discuss where you’re at and where you want to be. I invite you to learn more about my services to unlock potential and move you forward.
I aim to be an accessible forever partner invested
in your ongoing fulfillment and success.
Committed to clarity and impact
It all starts with clarity.
Without a clear understanding of what’s holding you back, where you want to be and the meaningful action required to get you there, your tires will continue to spin and spin and spin some more.
Over the last two decades, I’ve developed and honed an aptitude for helping individuals within and outside organizations uncover and get to the root of unseen obstacles to clear the way forward.
Clarity unlocks potential which leads to meaningful action and results in impact.
Sustainability is a core value that influences and
permeates all aspects of my life and work.
What’s with the bike?
This bike image has been with me since the start of my business. All that it represents is very close to my heart:
Moving ideas to meaningful action – brings tremendous satisfaction to my clients and me!
A metaphor to understand coaching – you get on the bike and I walk beside you until you’re ready to ride the bike on your own.
And sustainability of course – even though I’m a good parallel parker, my sustainability wake-up call was a catalyst to sell my car. Now I save money and the environment, and when I rent, enjoy the discovery and adventure of every road trip.
Mary-Ellen was instrumental to allowing all staff to achieve their potential
“Mary-Ellen has been instrumental in assisting with the shift in my organization’s culture in order to allow all staff to achieve their potential.”
Ontario English Catholic Teachers’ Association
More about me, only if you’re interested. Who knows, maybe we share something in common?
Moving Ideas to Meaningful Action
These words encapsulate what I do best. Here are a few examples:
- Created and led custom coaching program for a novel initiative – the brainchild of a family doctor – that addressed the family physician shortage in East Toronto, ultimately creating primary care and leadership capacity. See Addressing the Family Physician Shortage Through Coaching
- Coached an aspiring leader to become creative versus reactive and rebuild trust in key work relationships resulting in coveted invitation to join the management team.
- Empowered a female leader to achieve self-actualization through fulfillment outside day job as an industry thought leader/presenter.
- Coached physicians to develop as leaders and guided the creation of healthcare initiatives to save money, reduce wait times, improve the patient experience and increase collaboration.
- Championed female entrepreneur to realize her lifelong dream to create a successful home and office organizing business.
- Encouraged a physician client to apply for a leadership role which resulted in increased recognition and $20,000 in funding for leadership training.
- Created Humber College’s first Corporate Social Responsibility course, which inspired and unleashed newfound sustainability champions.
- Rolled out Royal Bank’s Better Giving Better Living Charitable Program to encourage giving on a community by community basis.
- Convinced Toronto City Councillor Jack Layton to support Nathan Phillips Square Skate Rental proposal which resulted in the skate rental that exists today.
With dual citizenship in Canada and the United Kingdom, I bring a global perspective to assignments. Roles include being one of 400+ stakeholders from 90 countries to develop the first ISO global guidance standard for social responsibility, mentor coach/workshop facilitator at Ouishare Fest in Paris and leadership coach for Scottish nurse and midwife team leaders.
Presentations / Workshops
- Keynote: Developing the Leader in You, Wounds Canada 2023 National Conference (Niagara Falls)
- Coaching Creates Capacity: A Powerful Tool for Primary Care Attachment, Canadian Society of Physician Leaders, 2023 Canadian Conference on Physician Leadership (Vancouver) – see Addressing the Family Physician Shortage Through Coaching
- Coaching to Develop a Leadership Mindset Webinar Series, International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) Academy (North America)
- Curious About Coaching? Live Tweet Chat, International Coaching Week, International Coaching Federation (Toronto)
- How Well Do You Know Yourself?, Canadian Society of Association Executives (CSAE) Young Professionals (Toronto)
- You Can Tell the Power of a Man by What Makes Him Angry (Abraham Lincoln) – Values Discovery / Hot Button Connection, Communication for Associations Conference (Ottawa)
- Creative Versus Reactive Leadership, Physician Leadership Development Program, Schulich Executive Education Centre (Toronto)
- Creative Versus Reactive Leadership – Cultivating a Leadership Mindset, IABC Toronto Chapter
- Coaching Insights to Develop a Leadership Mindset, Knightsbridge PREP Career Transition Group (Toronto)
- Mentor Coach + Values Workshop Facilitator, OuiShare Fest Collaborative Economy Events (Paris)
- Leadership to Make it Happen, Panel Presenter, Upmanship – The New Science of CSR Conference (Toronto)
- A Coaching Primer, Rapido Event, IABC Toronto Chapter
- Delivering Member Value, IABC Leadership Institute (Orlando)
- Pitching Social Responsibility to Your Organization, IABC World Conference (Toronto)
- Boosting People, Planet & Profit, IABC Toronto Chapter
- 10 Tips for Communicating Social Responsibility, Canada Mexico CSR Forum (Mexico City)
- A New Social Responsibility Standard – Global Learning For Communicators, IABC Communicating Social Responsibility Conference (Vancouver)
Education & Credentials
I value learning and professional development personally, and to ensure that my clients receive fresh and relevant coaching tools and resources.
- Professional Certified Coach (PCC), International Coaching Federation (ICF)
- Professional Certified Coach (PCC) Marker Training, International Coaching Federation (ICF)
- Mental Health & Resilience for Healthcare Workers Certification, University of Toronto
- ORSC Fundamentals, Organizational & Relationship Systems Coaching
- Leadership Circle & Culture Survey Certification, The Leadership Circle Profile™
- Co-Active Coach Training & Certification, Co-Active Training Institute (CTI)
- Social Media, Humber School of Media Studies & Information Technology
- CSR Reporting, Engagement & Assurance, The Accountability Project
- Institute of Corporate Community Relations Certificate, Boston College
- MBA, Marketing & Entrepreneurial Studies, Schulich School of Business
- Public Relations Certificate, Ryerson University
- BA, Economics & Psychology, Wilfrid Laurier University
Creating and teaching several courses (Leadership & Teamwork, Corporate Social Responsibility, Presentation Skills, Internal Communications and Ethics) as an adjunct professor for Humber College’s School of Media Studies and Information Technology has been invaluable for client engagements and presentations. I continue to be inspired by former students and clients.
- Canadian Medical Association Pandemic Wellness Toolkit, Physician Coaching and Wellness by Mary-Ellen Hynd
- International Coaching Federation – Toronto Chapter, Member, Prism Awards Judge, International Coaching Week Committee / Executive Coach, 20th Anniversary Committee, Mentor Coach
- Humber College & Sheridan College, Public Relations / Corporate Communications Programs, Provide mentorship, skills development & career guidance for local and international students during their internships – see Into the Dragons’ Den Market on My Internship
- Schulich CONNECT Alumni Forum, Executive Coach
- Co-Active Training Institute, Course Assistant for Fundamentals, Fulfillment, Balance, Synergy, and Process
- Canadian Society of Association Executives, Member, Provide clarity coaching to association and business leaders to support the annual charity of choice fundraiser
- OuiShare Fest Paris, Mentor Coach & Workshop Facilitator
- International Association of Business Communicators, Toronto Chapter Board Member for three years / Vice President Membership (winner of seven 2014 Chapter Management awards including IABC International Chapter of the Year)
- Canadian Business Ethics Research Network, Provided feedback on Ph.D. candidate presentations
- Canadian Standards Association, Social Responsibility Committee Member
- Canadian Centre for Ethics and Corporate Policy, Member
- Art Gems Auction in Support of Creative Works Studio, Volunteer
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Volunteer overseeing Critical Care Waiting Area
Meet the organizations in My Community.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Proud and grateful that Toronto (where I live) is the most diverse city in the world. I am committed to doing the work to better understand and not contribute to racism.
Indigenous Canada, University of Alberta – 12 week online course exploring key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective.
Me and White Supremacy (Layla F. Saad) – Six month weekly discussion to combat racism, change the world and become a good ancestor.
- Being Mortal – Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande, M.D.
- Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- Drive – The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel H. Pink
- Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese
- Let My People Go Surfing by Yvon Chouinard
- New and Selected Poems by Mary Oliver
- The Speed of Trust – The One Thing That Changes Everything by Stephen M.R. Covey
How Others Describe Me
- Visionary: able to think big, develop and execute strategy
- Inspiring: skilled at educating, mentoring, developing and empowering others
- Entrepreneurial: an enterprising self-starter who knows what to do and how to make it happen
- Connector: a collaborative facilitator who knows how to bring people together to solve a problem and accomplish something great
- Expressive: able to communicate clearly and consistently
- Authentic: honest, sincere and respected, someone you can trust
- Resourceful: able to identify and source needs, opportunities, and resources
- Creative: stylish with a fine-tuned sense of aesthetics
- A Rock: dependable and reliable, can count on to make a plan and deliver the expected results